My Top 50 Horror Films From 2000 to Present / GENERAL HORROR FILM THREAD

Started by Anna Karina, September 20, 2014, 03:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Karina

Getting in the Halloween mood.

Note: some people might argue a few of these aren't horror films, but also those people are dumb idiots who are wrong.

50. Under the Skin (2014)
49. Joshua (2007)
48. Pontypool (2008)
47. The Children (2008)
46. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
45. The Conjuring (2013)
44. Irreversible (2002)
43. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil (2010)
42. 28 Days Later (2002)
41. Bug (2006)
40. Edmond (2005)
39. American Psycho (2000)
38. The Loved Ones (2009)
37. Splinter (2008)
36. Cabin Fever (2002)
35. Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
34. Time of the Wolf (2004)
33. Deadgirl (2008)
32. Feast (2005)
31. Ils (2006)
30. Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
29. Slither (2006)
28. Antichrist (2009)
27. [rec]2 (2009)
26. Martyrs (2008)
25. Left Bank (2008)
24. Amer (2009)
23. Cheap Thrills (2014)
22. Eden Lake (2008)
21. The Descent (2005)
20. House of the Devil (2009)
19. Vinyan (2008)
18. Zodiac (2007)
17. Hotel (2004)
16. Dumplings (2004)
15. We Need To Talk About Kevin (2011)
14. Noroi (2005)
13. Ginger Snaps (2000)
12. Kidnapped (2011)
11. We Are What We Are (2013)
10. Sleep Tight (2012)
9. Killer Joe (2011)
8. Audition (2000)
7. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
6. [rec] (2007)
5. Snowtown (2011)
4. Inside (2007)
3. I Saw The Devil (2010)
2. Calvaire (2004)
1. Let The Right One In (2008)

RankResistance

I reference these lists you make once every couple of weeks, probably. They are usually spot-on.

I second a ton of these on this list. My personal favorite horror movie from the past decade or so was The Descent. Not sure what is special about it because "spooky creatures in cave" initially makes me kind of roll my eyes, but not only do I think it was great, it also holds up to re-watching.

"Let the Right One In" is probably where it needs to be on the list. It is probably one of my favorite films (period).

skateandannoy

I'm gonna check a bunch of these out! Thanks Brett.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Eugene

Anna Karina

Eugene

oops I was wondering why they were all after 2000. I guess I just saw horror films and got excited

Anna Karina

Eugene

My co-worker keeps telling me the conjuring is the best horror film ever.
I think I couldn't stand cabin fever.
28 days later was great.
I haven't seen most of these, I'd like to though.
I also hear antichrist was great I think.

pronetoaccidents

yeah conjuring was sweet. i don't have high expections for annabelle though.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Eugene on September 24, 2014, 01:13:21 PM
28 days later was great.

one of my all time favorites. ashame most people i talk about it seem to completely miss the social commentary and philosophy in it, not that its in depth or anything, just enough to be there without getting in the way (like the original dawn of the dead).

in reference to Brett's list, is Ginger Snaps really that good? i have been aching and aching for an awesome werewolf movie and my brother says its great but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. im going to try to make a list myself but it won't be as in depth as brett's
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Anna Karina

I'd put Ginger Snaps right behind American Werewolf in London as far as werewolf movies go.

There aren't very many good werewolf movies though.

AaronTheCabe

In no particular order

28 days Later 5/5

Shadow of the Vampire 3.5/5 (a horror art film that seems like the director and actors were all very passionate about)

BrotherHood of the Wolf 4/5 for awesomeness. dialogue can be crap at times, don't know if thats because some things are lost in translation. but the good stuff of this movie are awesome to the flossom. i want to watch it now kinda just talking about it

Dagon 3/5  really 2/5 but not bad for a lovecraftian film. amateur director and actors but were really into it. Saw it first time while tripping hard on DXM and it freaked me the fuck out

Session 9 - 4/5 If you haven't seen this movie you should. No other film builds suspense and atmosphere better than this, classic style. i personally don't think there was anything supernatural in this film *at all * other people see it differently. i think what most people see as supernatural stuff was really just a good director building atmosphere by creeping you out. you decide!

Bubba Ho-Tep - 3/5 you've got bruce campbell as Elvis fighting an ancient mummy directed and written by Phantasm director Don Coscarelli. What's not to like?

John Dies at the End - 5/5 speaking of Don, I LOVED this film. i think its hit or miss with some people, definitely postmodern blend of genres simlarly to Cabin in the Woods

Cabin in the Woods 4/5 just great great great. I actually thought it would suck but it didn't

43. Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil (2010) copy pasted from brett cause im on quick reply and not being quick about it. 4/5 one of the best comedy-horror satires out there

Shaun of the Dead 4/5 Need i say more?

The Grudge 0/5 this list is for movies i like but i wanted to mention this one because i really, really hated this movie.

Saw - 3/5 first time original was pretty good and different. plus cary elwes (AS YOU WISH.......)

30 Days of Night 2/5. not bad really. if you haven't seen it and have the ability to for free, it was an enjoyable movie. Plus alaska. Plus vampires that aren't all hot and having sex but instead want to rip out your veins and are all nosferatu, i prefer that.

Grindhosue Planet of Terror 2.5/5 maybe 3. Deathproof 4/5 maybe 4.5  I just thought deathproof was so unique and original. one of quentin's best honestly, if a bit dull compared to his other films (according to some people, but not me) Planet of Terror was fun

The Mist - 4/5. best non hollywood ending evar

Diary of the Dead 2/5 oh george...you lost it bro

Midnight Meat Train - 3/5 but enjoyable really and creepy and has a little lovecraftian element to it, which i love lovecraft, so you know. plus good actors really pull it together.

The Happening - 3/5. yep, i liked it. sue me

Drag me to Hell -3/5 old school plot done post 2000s. kinda cool, kinda not, kinda cheesy in a good way, fun and enjoyable but wouldn't watch a second time

Zombieland 3.5/4 - fun times

Stake Land 4.5/5 This movie is a must see. Low budget, but passionate and amazing acting and cinematagraphy and just a damn good job. the equivalent to a diy or lofi band rocking it out super awesome. one of the top 5 best of post 2000s i think

Fright Night remake 3/5 not too bad. actually enjoyable. one of the few remakes i've seen. just haven't gotten around to most because, you know, they're remakes

Spider 3.5/5 Its david Cronenberg. very psychological. very dark surreal yet still connected to reality. one of my favorite directors. not his best but certainly worhty of mention

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 25, 2014, 03:16:16 PM
I'd put Ginger Snaps right behind American Werewolf in London as far as werewolf movies go.

wow hell ya. also sad face, there really isn't that many good werewolf movies...at all...i've been wanting to write one myself

Anna Karina

I'm hesitantly excited about the Tucker & Dale vs Evil sequel.

Not entirely sure it needs a sequel but whatever, I'll watch it.

Rapture Ready Blowhard

50.  The Wicker Man
49.  The Wicker Man
48.  The Wicker Man
47.  The Wicker Man
46.  The Wicker Man
45.  The Wicker Man
44.  The Wicker Man
43.  The Wicker Man
42.  The Wicker Man
41.  The Wicker Man
40.  The Wicker Man
39.  The Wicker Man
38.  The Wicker Man
37.  Drag Me to Hell
36.  The Wicker Man
35.  The Wicker Man
34.  The Wicker Man
33.  The Wicker Man
32.  The Wicker Man
31.  The Wicker Man
30.  The Wicker Man
29.  The Wicker Man
28.  Cabin Fever
27.  The Wicker Man
26.  The Wicker Man
25.  The Wicker Man
24.  The Wicker Man
23.  The Wicker Man
21.  House of the Devil
20.  The Wicker Man
19.  The Wicker Man
18.  The Wicker Man
17.  The Wicker Man
16.  The Wicker Man
15.  The Wicker Man
14.  The Wicker Man
13.  The Wicker Man
12.  The Wicker Man
11.  The Wicker Man
10.  The Wicker Man
9.    The Wicker Man
8.    The Wicker Man
7.    The Wicker Man
6.    The Wicker Man
5.    The Wicker Man
4.    The Wicker Man
3.    The Wicker Man
2.    The Wicker Man
1.    The Wicker Man

Anna Karina

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 25, 2014, 03:52:58 PM
Man, I hated Drag Me to Hell.

ya i think i knowing sam raimi did it (i think he did) made me think it was better than it was

Eugene

Again with the old. I found a movie called "THE BEAST WITHIN" at the thrift and bought it, but haven't watched it. It's a werewolf movie. Has anyone seen it?

Phitney

Slither should be higher up on that list.

Also, Let The Right One In was so good. I think I might go watch that now

I hated Antichrist. I'm not a huge Lars Von Trier fan, though.

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 25, 2014, 03:16:16 PM

brotherhood of the wolf was a good one but yeah, good werewolf movies are very few and far between.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

AaronTheCabe

since this is kinda a horror movie thread, pardon if i post in it instead of making a new topic.

whats everyone's one favorite halloween horror film.  Mine has always been In the Mouth of Madness. and is probably my favorite horror film of all time (i am also partial to the original Nightmare film)

Anna Karina

This can be a general horror thread, I don't care.

But the answer is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The answer is always Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

manmagic

Horror movies after 1995 are almost always garbage, I see maybe two movies on your list that aren't awful.

tinybitsofheart

Quote from: manmagic on September 30, 2014, 06:29:58 AM
Horror movies after 1995 are almost always garbage, I see maybe two movies on your list that aren't awful.

Anna Karina

Considering the blanket statement, I'm gonna go ahead and assume you haven't seen a lot of them.  Cool, rebellious opinion, bro! Fuck new horror movies, yeah!

It's real hip to disregard twenty years of film. You must really know your stuff.