Do you close your eyes when you're in a dentist chair?

Started by skateandannoy, September 03, 2014, 06:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

When you're at the dentist, do you close your eyes when they're fucking with your teeth? Or do you look up at the ceiling or away at something else? I usually close my eyes because I don't want to be staring at them while they're working. WHAT DO YOU DO?
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

tinybitsofheart

i relax my eyes and stare off into space while trying not to look at the dentist. i also hope i don't think of a joke and chuckle to myself because that's my worst fear in those situations and seems to happen sometimes

Rapture Ready Blowhard

I close my eyes.

I also lightly tremble uncontrollably, even though I'm not consciously scared of anything.  I have never in my life been to a dentist appointment where the hygienist hasn't asked me if I'm going to be okay.  It's super embarrassing.

rory

I try and just not look at them, then feel weird and close my eyes, then get stressed out from trying to close my eyes consciously (I fall asleep with my eyes partially open a lot? apparently I can't close my damn eyes easily), then I try to not stare at the dentist etc etc.

Easily the worst part of a dentist appointment to me. I actually really like the dentist.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

my dentist has a screen on the ceiling and shows movies while he's digging around in my grill.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

Phitney

I cannot keep my eyes open at the dentist. I don't know if my eyes are just extra sensitive to light or what (they probably are. I wear sunglasses sometimes when it's cloudy out.) but my eyes start watering because the light is too damn bright. I don't know how you guys do it.

anklegrease

oh I have to have to have to close my eyes. I nearly fell asleep the last time I went to the dentist

manmagic

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on September 03, 2014, 06:41:35 AM
i also hope i don't think of a joke and chuckle to myself because that's my worst fear in those situations and seems to happen sometimes

disa

I close my eyes, the light shining into my eyes really annoys me.

michaelcopeland

I look right at the dentist the entire time, usually at the mask they wear over their mouths. Never realized until now how uncomfortable I probably make them though haha.

lindsey

yeah i close my eyes. i feel like if i was staring at them it would just make them uneasy and more likely to fuck up whatever they're doing. i know that's probably unreasonable....but being stared at while you're trying to do your job is the worst!

Aegir

Closed. I hate going to the dentist, it's so awkward and uncomfortable and painful. And I can't handle people sticking things in my mouth, I throw up every time.

pronetoaccidents

no i stare directly into the dentists eyes without blinking and try to make them extremely uncomfortable.
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Anna Karina

I stare a few inches away from the dentist's face awkwardly, momentarily switching my focus to the overhead light then my eyes start to water, repeat while I try my best not to swallow from the excess saliva in my mouth until I gag.

Semi

I think the more important question is what you do when you're getting your hair cut. I haven't cut my hair in 5 years and it's about time in a few weeks and I don't trust any of my friends to do it (I've gotten really used to the hair I have now so I don't want it to get too messed up) but I feel really nervous about what I'm supposed to do while I'm there.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

michaelcopeland

Quote from: Semi on September 26, 2014, 11:53:22 AM
I think the more important question is what you do when you're getting your hair cut. I haven't cut my hair in 5 years and it's about time in a few weeks and I don't trust any of my friends to do it (I've gotten really used to the hair I have now so I don't want it to get too messed up) but I feel really nervous about what I'm supposed to do while I'm there.

my mom used to cut my hair when I was little, and I'm so afraid of the situation being uncomfortable that now I cut my own hair. I've never had my hair professionally cut, ever.

Courtney

I just went to a new stylist last month (who fucking butchered my hair). We chit-chatted about life a little bit, and then it was acceptable for me to be quiet because your jaw moving while getting a short haircut is bad news.