General Movie Thread

Started by Anna Karina, August 02, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

A friend made me watch The Interview. So Bad. Let me know what you think of Spring Breakers Whitney! I really liked it.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Phitney

Definitely! I've been meaning to watch it for a while. The whole Selena Gomez being in a Harmony Korine movie and James Franco basically being Riff Raff is pretty intriguing to me.

lindsey

manmagic

I didn't watch it recently, but I really disliked Spring Breaker.

I watched Horns the other night on Netflix and that was pretty awful as well.

momitsnowme

Jer and I watched the interview last night and I thought it was pretty funny. I also enjoyed the scenery and music.

Phitney

I watched Wild the other day since I finished the book. It was amazing, though they added things that weren't in the book and took things out that were in the book. The book was better, but the movie was really nice to visualize exactly what she was hiking through and enduring. Now I want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Or at least the John Muir Trail.

BagginSagginBrian

Yeah I've been wanting to watch Wild. I've only hiked around point reyes, which is absolutely amazing.  Also hitched from Santa Barbara to Tillamook or. on the Pacific Coast hiway which is also mind blowing,  this spring I'm going to bike from Sf to the Lost coast and back.

manmagic

Phitney

I saw Interstellar in IMAX today and it was pretty great. Best sci fi movie I've seen since Moon, but still not better than Moon. But still fantastic.

Now I'm going to review my general and special relativity notes.

AaronTheCabe

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Anna Karina

Movies watched in February:

Another Day in Paradise 2.5/5
Eyes Without a Face 4.5/5
The Rum Diary 2/5
Citizenfour 3.5/5
Klute 3.5/5
Box of Moonlight 2.5/5
The Savages 3/5
Why Don't You Play in Hell? 4/5
Fury 3.5/5
The Overnighters 3/5
Kids for Cash 3/5
Top Five 3.5/5
Selma 3/5
Nightcrawler 4/5

lindsey

last night we watched the room with rifftrax

manmagic

BlakeK

The Imitation Game: B+; good movie. I would have been okay with this winning best picture based on the nominees. The historical inaccuracie bothered me but not as bad as they did in Selma.

The Theory of Everything: B+; great performance by what's his face who won best actor. It does bother me that playing a character with some sort of disability seems to all but guarantee that you will win. I would have liked it more if they would have went deeper into the physics, explored the allegations of abuse levied against Hawkings second wife (abuse was suspected but Hawking would not confirm), and perhaps delve into the complex relationships a little deeper.

Whiplash: A-; J.K. Simmons winning for best supporting actor might be the only major Oscar category where I agreed with the winner. I didn't like the abrupt ending and found it hard to suspend disbelief at times. Highly recommend it, though.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

The ending was the best part. The crash was the dumbest.

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 01, 2015, 06:43:55 PM
The ending was the best part. The crash was the dumbest.
Yeah the crash and the fact that no one asked what was wrong with him. Nope it's a really important band concert. It doesn't matter if you come in bloody and obviously concussed. No one even talked about the car accident after it happened! No one! Not the kid, not his dad, not the lawyer, not even the police who would be pretty pissed that he left the scene of an accident. The car accident is when I had to suspend disbelief.

The ending was great, I just wanted the movie to go on a little longer. I'm sure that would have ruined the movie but at the time, I just wanted to see more interactions between the two perhaps to see what happened to them after the show. I get that having that in there wouldn't be practical.

Phitney

The car crash biz frustrated me to no end because of exactly that: It just happened and no one ever talked about it again. Super ridiculous.

Otherwise, fantastic film though I also wanted it to go on a little longer. At the same time, though, I don't know what more they could have done while it still being a great film.

Anna Karina

The most annoying part of it to me is a high schooler being able to rent a car. COME ON!

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 04, 2015, 09:01:56 PM
The most annoying part of it to me is a high schooler being able to rent a car. COME ON!

16 and older for Uhaul rental ahha! not the same but...AHA
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

BlakeK

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 04, 2015, 09:01:56 PM
I'm confused, I thought this was a college. How does this kid live on his own? The movie is making far less sense now.

Anna Karina

I assumed it was high school since I always see it mentioned that it was "based off" Chazelle's experience at Princeton High School, though I guess it's portrayed as more of a specialty school like Julliard. Either way I'm pretty sure he's not 23 years old in the movie, which I could be wrong but I believe that's how old you need to be to rent a car.

manmagic

Watched Housebound on netflix today. Two thumbs way up.

kaywhyelleee

I've been trying to watch a lot more movies lately to try and understand film study as a thing. These two dudes on YouTube, Every Frame a Painting and Nerdwriter, do video essays on movies that sparked my interest. Since starting this I've watched a lot of movies. So far my favorites are ones by Kubrick (The Shining above everything, pretty much), Fincher (Gone Girl was so good, and everything else I've seen by him is so good), and Lynch. Though I dipped for a while there into that French New Wave thing and watched a lot of Jean-Luc Goddard movies, and I tried to go further back with stuff from Fritz Lang and that movie The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, which is amazing. Anything you guys might recommend my way?

Anna Karina

Quote from: kaywhyelleee on March 14, 2015, 06:55:26 PM
I've been trying to watch a lot more movies lately to try and understand film study as a thing. These two dudes on YouTube, Every Frame a Painting and Nerdwriter, do video essays on movies that sparked my interest. Since starting this I've watched a lot of movies. So far my favorites are ones by Kubrick (The Shining above everything, pretty much), Fincher (Gone Girl was so good, and everything else I've seen by him is so good), and Lynch. Though I dipped for a while there into that French New Wave thing and watched a lot of Jean-Luc Goddard movies, and I tried to go further back with stuff from Fritz Lang and that movie The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, which is amazing. Anything you guys might recommend my way?
If you like Kubrick, anything by Tarkovsky, specifically Solaris and Stalker
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Persona
Fantastic Planet
Paris, Texas
The Double Life of Veronique
Sullivan's Travels
Paper Moon
The Last Picture Show
Wings of Desire
Ratcatcher
I Am Cuba
Punishment Park
Le Bonheur

kaywhyelleee

Quote from: Anna Karina on March 14, 2015, 07:22:27 PM
Quote from: kaywhyelleee on March 14, 2015, 06:55:26 PM
If you like Kubrick, anything by Tarkovsky, specifically Solaris and Stalker
Hiroshima Mon Amour
Persona
Fantastic Planet
Paris, Texas
The Double Life of Veronique
Sullivan's Travels
Paper Moon
The Last Picture Show
Wings of Desire
Ratcatcher
I Am Cuba
Punishment Park
Le Bonheur

I did watch Nostalghia by him, I really liked it! I have Solaris, Andrei's Childhood and The Sacrifice very high on my to-watch list.  And I haven't seen any of those movies. Awesome; thank you.