General Movie Thread

Started by Anna Karina, August 02, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaywhyelleee

Also, how freaking good was Birdman?

BlakeK

I decided to watch all of Paul Thomas Anderson's movies as there are several I haven't seen. I'm watching Magnolia for the first time. Very strange movie but I like it. It's really fucking long. I love John C Reilly. He cracks me up in Boogie Nights (which I rewatched last night). He's basically the same guy he is in Step Brothers. My favorite P.T. Anderson movie is There Will Be Blood. One of the top 5 greatest movies of all time in my opinion.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

Anna Karina

Magnolia is the one movie from him I don't like, and man, I really hate that movie. That fuckin' sing-a-long...

On his episode of the WTF Maron podcast he mentions that if he could re-edit it, he'd cut out some of the stories and make it way shorter. It'd be interesting to see but there's no way he does that at this point. And yeah, John C. Reilly is a really underrated actor. He's great in Hard Eight too (PT Anderson's first film).

BlakeK

I was at the two hour mark when I posted last night and it didn't seem that long at that point. The last hour drug on and on. What the fuck was the deal with the frogs? I understand it probably has some sort of biblical connection but still. I started to tune out towards the end. Tom Cruise was pretty good in it. I forget sometimes that he has given some damn good performances.

Movie ratings from the past week

Magnolia: B-
Boogie Nights: A
There Will Be Blood: A+
A Fee Good Men: A-

Phitney

I saw Chappie this weekend! I laughed and cried, and I don't cry often at movies. The Die Antwoord soundtrack was great especially since the folks from the band were in the movie and didn't seem to listen to anything other than their own music. 4/5

skateandannoy

Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppolla: That thing is a goddamn mess. It looks great sometimes because Coppolla is a visionary, but the script, acting, and pretty much everything else is horrible.
Frank: Not a lot to say without giving stuff away, really good.
Redline: Super over the top, but the visuals are really the only thing anyone is watching it for. Certainly not the plot! But it is gorgeous. Seven years hand drawing every single cell was well worth it.
Fury: Meh.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

Rewatched Tropic Thunder this week. I love that movie. Robert Downey Jr is great in TT and I think he would have won the Oscar for which he was nominated if Heath Ledger wouldn't have been so fucking great in the Dark Knight. If you like Tropic Thunder, it's worth buying for the commentary. Robert Downey Jr stays in character throughout and is pretty funny and often mean to Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Tom Cruise was even funny as hell in his role.

Tropic Thunder: A
Robocop (original): A
Collision: B- This is a movie about Christopher Hitchens and pastor Douglas Wilson debating the existence of god. I like Christopher Hitchens a lot and Wilson has good intentions and seems more open minded than a lot of people I've seen Hitchens debate.   

manmagic

Quote from: BlakeK on March 18, 2015, 07:15:07 AM

I agree Tropic Thunder is a really solid comedy.

I can't get into Robocop though, I usually love that kind of action trash, but now having watched 1, 2, 3 and the remake, I can honestly say it's one of my least favorite franchises. Maybe the fact I stuck with it and watched all four says something different though.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: BlakeK on March 18, 2015, 07:15:07 AM
Rewatched Tropic Thunder this week. I love that movie. Robert Downey Jr is great in TT and I think he would have won the Oscar for which he was nominated if Heath Ledger wouldn't have been so fucking great in the Dark Knight. If you like Tropic Thunder, it's worth buying for the commentary. Robert Downey Jr stays in character throughout and is pretty funny and often mean to Ben Stiller and Jack Black. Tom Cruise was even funny as hell in his role.

Collision: B- This is a movie about Christopher Hitchens and pastor Douglas Wilson debating the existence of god. I like Christopher Hitchens a lot and Wilson has good intentions and seems more open minded than a lot of people I've seen Hitchens debate.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTgk3UWQEAo

ben stiller makes good movies but he's such an asshole uptight full of himself piece of shit
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Phitney on March 16, 2015, 06:48:06 AM
I saw Chappie this weekend! I laughed and cried, and I don't cry often at movies. The Die Antwoord soundtrack was great especially since the folks from the band were in the movie and didn't seem to listen to anything other than their own music. 4/5

if still in theater i'm going to see it by myuself this saturday. i refuse to torrent cause i love this director

Anna Karina

So this was unexpectedly great.

kw

anyone seen the movie Coherence? just saw it and was super into it. really rad science fiction and they way they filmed it / how the creator did the script, or lack of script, was super cool. totally inspired to make a rad no budget film now.

lindsey

watched kiki's delivery service last night A++

Pat2099

Finally catching up on the 2014 movies I haven't seen.

Nightcrawler 3.5/5
Boyhood 2.5/5
Whiplash 3/5
Birdman 2/5
Snowpiercer 1/5

Pat2099

Here is a list of my favorite 2014 movies order. (yeah I know a little late right..)

Tier 1
Inherent Vice
Under the Skin
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Dance of Reality
Guardians of the Galaxy

Tier 2
Lego Movie
Nightcrawler
Jodorowky's Dune
Captain America:Winter Solider
Big Hero 6

Tier 3
Whiplash
Gone Girl
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Boyhood
Only Lovers Left Alive

Still haven't seen:
The Wind Rises
Goodbye to Language
Blue Ruin
Interstellar
the Raid 2

AaronTheCabe

Calvary (2014)

5/5. Here's the preview: its a horrible preview in that it does not represent the movie as it should. Its not a comedy and is exceedingly British/Irish (its an Irish film but as i'm about to refer to british comedy which contains the same kind of humor and drama and the like and more people are familiar with British stuff in general) the comedy is an underscore during very serious topics, often linguistic and witty retort upon another. the drama is treated nonchalantly but very much more than just on the surface of the film. very real characters. very true to life, in most ways.

Highly recommended Here's link to torrent, i'll be seeding for two days: https://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10423306/Calvary_%282014%29_720p_BrRip_x264_-_YIFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGM5rq_vX4U

Stinkbug

I just saw It Follows last night. It was pretty good. It was suspenseful, and looked beautiful, but it was lacking something. Definitely fun though. Gave me the heebie jeebies, but I get scared at every horror movie.

BlakeK

Quote from: Pat2099 on March 23, 2015, 07:42:02 PM
Here is a list of my favorite 2014 movies order. (yeah I know a little late right..)

Tier 1
Inherent Vice
Under the Skin
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Dance of Reality
Guardians of the Galaxy

Tier 2
Lego Movie
Nightcrawler
Jodorowky's Dune
Captain America:Winter Solider
Big Hero 6

Tier 3
Whiplash
Gone Girl
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Boyhood
Only Lovers Left Alive

Still haven't seen:
The Wind Rises
Goodbye to Language
Blue Ruin
Interstellar
the Raid 2
I like the format you're using but I disagree strongly with which movies belong in what tiers the movies belong in. I didn't include movies I haven't seen but I'm sure there are lots I'm forgetting.

Tier 1
Foxcatcher
Whiplash
Nightcrawler
Birdman
Grand Budhapest Hotel

Tier2
Inherent Vice
Gone Girl
Citizenfour
The Imitation Game
Boyhood

Tier 3
The Theory of Everything
Kill the Messenger
Selma

Garbage Can
American Sniper aka Nation's Pride (remade for Americans)

Anna Karina

Films I watched from March, April, and May:

Monsters 3/5
The Blob 3.5/5
Stand by Me 4/5
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry 3/5
The Gift 2.5/5
Zombeavers 1.5/5
Southern Comfort 3.5/5
Bronson 3/5
Bluebird 2.5/5
Sling Blade 4.5/5
Rescue Dawn 3/5
Only Lovers Left Alive 2.5/5
House of Sand and Fog 3.5/5
Mad Max: Fury Road 4/5
Southern Rites 2.5/5
Leon: The Professional 3.5/5
Marathon Man 4/5
Tracks 3.5/5
Bessie 1/5
Force Majeure 3/5
No No: A Dockumentary 3/5
Ex Machina 4/5
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck 3/5
Furious 7 2.5/5
Actress 3/5
The House I Live In 3/5
The French Connection 3.5/5
Showrunners 2.5/5
Deepsea Challenge 3D 2.5/5
What We Do in the Shadows 4/5
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 2.5/5
Baadasssss! 3.5/5
Peggy Sue Got Married 3/5
Spring 4/5
Neighbors 2/5
While We're Young 3/5
Touch of Evil 4.5/5

Anna Karina

[img=http://i59.tinypic.com/1448cd3.jpg]http:/
Good lord, I loved this morbid fuckin' movie.

Pat2099

Only Lovers Left Alive and A Girl Walks Home at Night got the same score? What didn't you like about A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night?

manmagic

and bronson only gets a 3/5. For shame.

Anna Karina

Bronson mostly sucks outside of Tom Hardy's performance and Refn is a complete hack (who's made one of the worst movies of the decade).

Girl Who Walks Home Alone At Night was way too glossy and bored the hell out of me. As did Only Lovers Left Alive aside from its awesome soundtrack and some cool shots.

I honestly do not get the hype around Girl Who Walks... at all. Probably the most disappointing movie I expected to like this year. Sorry, I would try to explain why I disliked them a little better but I'm really busy at the moment with work stuff.  I'll try to elaborate when I get the chance.

skateandannoy

I saw Interstellar last night. It was okay.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

pronetoaccidents

i enjoyed instellar and yeah, chappie was sad. my girlfriend cried when they threw molotov cocktails at him
Though lovers be lost love shall not.