General Movie Thread

Started by Anna Karina, August 02, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeK

Has anyone seen The Tribe (aka the movie with no talking, only signing)? I read a review but stopped because it was getting spoilery.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

skateandannoy

I've seen a bunch of shit recently, I really liked Wet Hot American Summer, and The Wind Rises both of which I've been meaning to see. I also saw Inherent Vice and wasn't really impressed.

Quote from: BlakeK on June 16, 2015, 06:46:44 PM
Has anyone seen The Tribe (aka the movie with no talking, only signing)? I read a review but stopped because it was getting spoilery.
No but that sounds sweet!
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

I just got done watching The Visit. It was jarring and funny at the same time. Not a great movie but M Night S. didn't do a bad job. It was entertaining though I was trying to over complicate things.

Anna Karina

My top 20 of the year.

20. The End of the Tour (dir. James Ponsoldt)
19. It Follows (dir. David Robert Mitchell)
18. Sicario (dir. Denis Villeneuve)
17. Spring (dir. Aaron Moorhead & Justin Benson)
16. The Hateful Eight (dir. Quentin Tarantino)
15. Mad Max: Fury Road (dir. George Miller)
14. Queen of Earth (dir. Alex Ross Perry)
13. Mistress America (dir. Noah Baumbach)
12. Carol (dir. Todd Haynes)
11. Anomalisa (dir. Duke Johnson & Charlie Kaufman)
10. Call Me Lucky (dir. Bobcat Goldthwait)
09. Ex Machina (dir. Alex Garland)
08. What We Do in the Shadows (dir. Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi)
07. The Revenant (dir. Alejandro González Iñárritu)
06. Beasts of No Nation (dir. Cary Fukunaga)
05. Alléluia (dir. Fabrice Du Welz)
04. Wild Tales (dir. Damián Szifrón)
03. Bone Tomahawk (dir. S. Craig Zahler)
02. Room (dir. S. Lenny Abrahamson)
01. The Lobster (dir. Yorgos Lanthimos)

skateandannoy

Thread hasn't been bumped in a while. Seen some stuff recently,

Krampus (2015) was good, but a little disappointing
Wild Style (1983) was amazing
Stoker (2013) was excellent
Two Days, One Night (2014) was also excellent
Under the Skin (2013) was incredible

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

BlakeK

I want to see Birth of a Nation. In the suggested videos there was a trailer for a movie called Race about Jesse Owens. Both look like good movies.

skateandannoy

Is that DW Griffith's 1915 Birth of a Nation or Nate Parker's new one?

BlakeK

I'm also pissed that the copy of Once Upon a Time in America I bought on eBay hasn't shipped. I watched it for a class I took in college on gangster movies (called "from gangsters to gangstas") and it turned into an all day event with my best friend. Great movie, just incredibly long. I don't know how Amanda will take the news of it being 4 hours long when I go to pop it in.

BlakeK

Quote from: skateandannoy on February 03, 2016, 06:14:05 PM
The new one. I would watch the original just because it's historically significant but it's not something I would be excited to see. I imagine it would be infuriating and sad to watch the original just because of the content and knowing what it inspired.

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on February 03, 2016, 06:15:26 PM
I'm also pissed that the copy of Once Upon a Time in America I bought on eBay hasn't shipped. I watched it for a class I took in college on gangster movies (called "from gangsters to gangstas") and it turned into an all day event with my best friend. Great movie, just incredibly long. I don't know how Amanda will take the news of it being 4 hours long when I go to pop it in.
That class sounds awesome

BlakeK

Quote from: skateandannoy on February 03, 2016, 06:16:58 PM
It was my favorite class. The Beatles class I took was a close second.

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on February 03, 2016, 06:16:38 PM
Quote from: skateandannoy on February 03, 2016, 06:14:05 PM
The new one. I would watch the original just because it's historically significant but it's not something I would be excited to see.
Historically, and culturally! Unfortunately!

It's interesting they chose Fox (who offered less money) to distribute the new BoaN over Netflix because they wanted a theatrical release. He said he's an activist first and wants this film to get people inspired and interested in activism, but Fox/ Newscorp/ Rupert Murdoch are the very people they are inspiring people to fight. It just seems weird choosing them of all companies.

skateandannoy

Quote from: BlakeK on February 03, 2016, 06:19:21 PM
Quote from: skateandannoy on February 03, 2016, 06:16:58 PM
It was my favorite class. The Beatles class I took was a close second.
That also sounds really sweet. Also, I hope your DVD ships soon!

BlakeK

I just saw Split and it was alright. I thought the ending was neat and was unaware of future plans prior to seeing it. I hope that's not a spoiler. I find it interesting that M. Night Samalamadingdong seems to place such an emphasis on mental illness and therapists/psychologists in his movies.

lindsey

Going to see Wonder Woman tonight, pretty stoked!

jer

how was it? i'm only hearing good things
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

skateandannoy

manmagic

The new alien movie was good, then again I also liked Prometheus a lot which people seem to hate, so maybe I'm not a good judge.

BlakeK

I watched a few newer releases on blu ray this month. Moonlight was a pretty good movie, though I thought it could have been longer so it could have covered more ground and developed the character better from teenager to adult. I noticed after watching that this may be the only movie I've ever seen that did not have any white people in it. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Manchester by the Sea was pretty depressing but good. I thought Casey Affleck was good in it and probably deserved best actor. I know it came out that he's a garbage human being but good movie which leads me to Birth of a Nation which was also good and along with Nate Parker should have nominated for more awards but get this, he too may be a garbage human being. I'm not sure why these (recent?) revelations about actors/directors didn't harm Affleck as much as Parker (okay I am sure but we won't go into it now).

I watched True Romance for the first time all the way through and it is amazing! One of my favorite movies now. I have no idea why I never watched it when I was a teenager.

amanda

I watched Get Out and Moana last week and immensely enjoyed both.

skateandannoy

Quote from: amanda on June 06, 2017, 08:39:10 PM
I watched Get Out and Moana last week and immensely enjoyed both.

Ahh both were great!

There's been some excellent stuff coming out lately. I've been going to the movies more this year than in years

lindsey

wonder woman was delightful

skateandannoy

Quote from: lindsey on June 13, 2017, 12:01:44 AM
wonder woman was delightful
It was!

Just bought Lars Von Trier's Dogville for $2. Haven't seen it in a few years and it's not great but eh, it was $2.

amanda

I watched The Girl with All the Gifts a couple weeks ago and it was very enjoyable.

pascaloo

I've you seen The Fits? I really liked it