General Movie Thread

Started by Anna Karina, August 02, 2014, 05:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Karina

Review movies, post what you watched today, post trailers for upcoming movies, etc.

Here's a list of movies I've watched (for the first time) between May until now:

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane 3/5
Stranger by the Lake 3.5/5
Cold in July 3.5/5
Medium Cool 4/5
Moneyball 4/5
Far Out Isn't Far Enough: The Tomi Ungerer Story 3.5/5
Gideon's Army 3/5
Hard to Be a God 4.5/5
The Times of Harvey Milk 4/5
The Case Against 8 3.5/5
Sabotage 2.5/5
The Internship 1.5/5
The Immigrant 3.5/5
Enough Said 3.5/5
The Hurt Locker 3/5
The Battered Bastards of Baseball 3/5
Don't Deliver Us from Evil 3/5
Where the Buffalo Roam 2.5/5
Splice 2/5
Now You See Me 1/5
Autoluminescent: Rowland S Howard 4/5
42 2.5/5
They Came Together 4/5
Awakenings 3/5
The Raid 2 4.5/5
Snowpiercer 3.5/5
Magic 3/5
Oldboy (2013) 1.5/5
Cop Land 3.5/5
Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction 3.5/5
Afflicted 3/5
Warrior 3/5
Doubt 3/5
Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory 4/5
Paradise Lost 2: Revelations 4/5
Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills 4/5
Brother's Keeper 4/5
Birth of the Living Dead 3/5
The Driver   4/5
Hit and Run 3/5
Dear Mr. Watterson 2.5/5
Hard Time 3.5/5
The Frozen Ground 2/5
Marc Maron: Thinky Pain 3.5/5
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy 4.5/5
Oculus 3.5/5
Straight Time 4.5/5
Still Bill 3/5
Blue Chips 2.5/5
Don Jon 2/5
In the Loop 3.5/5
Juice 3/5
Headhunters 4/5
Submarine 3.5/5
The Double 4.5/5
Child of God 1.5/5
Bullhead 3/5
Rust and Bone 4/5
The Sacrament 3.5/5
Jodorowsky's Dune 4/5

jer

It's so absurd that this movie is being made, but I'm so looking forward to it!

http://youtu.be/60EUG-CDC_k

"I don't want to die in Canada!"
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

tenderfoot_blues

I watched the Immigrant last night and really liked it.
LoganTheCheese, ya'll.

Pat2099

Guardians of the Galaxy 5/5
Lego Movie 5/5
Under the Skin 5/5

skateandannoy

Times of Harvey Milk is so good. So is the Lego Movie. I really want to see Under the Skin, and Lucy. How to Train Your Dragon 2 was good too.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Pat2099

Jodorowsky's Dune 4.5/5

Very inspiring. Jodorowsky looks good and very lively for an 84 year old.

Semi

Guardians of the Galaxy was great, James Gunn is probably my favourite director at the moment.
I play accordian/guitar and sing together with my girlfriend who plays ukulele in our band Lagom, we sing songs about the internal contradictions of capital and watching Rupauls Dragrace.

tenderfoot_blues

I watched Annie Hall for the first time last night. I liked most of it.
LoganTheCheese, ya'll.

Pat2099

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) 3.5/ 5

The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie wasn't bad, definitely had some corny parts, but it was entertaining enough if you don't overthink it. Their  origin was the worst part in my opinion. 

Joe

Quote from: skateandannoy on August 06, 2014, 07:33:01 AM
Times of Harvey Milk is so good. So is the Lego Movie. I really want to see Under the Skin, and Lucy. How to Train Your Dragon 2 was good too.

Lucy was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, just as a heads-up. 

Anna Karina

This was so much more insane than I expected it to be. Loved the score for it and would like to find it if possible.

pronetoaccidents

brett.. i just saw stranger by the lake about a week ago. it was pretty sweet.

i saw this too.. it was a pretty cool tour documentary about the chinese punk band Joyside. interviews in public bathrooms, copious alcohol consumption, broken english, everything i like in a movie about punkrocknroll of the asian variety

Though lovers be lost love shall not.

Nate Rainey

Joyside is ridiculous....I always wondered how they got such clean recordings when they've clearly never been sober in their lives.
Signature get.

pronetoaccidents

yeah those dudes party hard man.. i'm pretty sure they are at the level of alcoholism where they'd go through the shakes and seizures and whatnot.

IMAWRAETHTHU

Showing Shortbus to this super hetero little cutie that i love...

she was interested enough in the story but didn't want to borrow it to watch the rest cause i guess she isn't really into watching people fuck and stuff...regardless of the sex though, that is a really good movie!!

I just got my copies of May, Choke, and The Dead Girl back from her, haven't seen May in way too long, really glad my friend liked that one, she said she tried to show it to as many people as possible!
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!

Anna Karina

Movies watched in August:

Duel 3.5/5
The Mist 3/5
Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles 3.5/5
The Ballad of Ramblin' Jack 3.5/5
The Source Family 3.5/5
Lake Mungo 3/5
Changeling (2008) 2.5/5
Serial Killer Culture 0.5/5
King of New York 3.5/5
How to Die in Oregon 4/5
Trees Lounge 3.5/5
Downloaded 2.5/5
Godzilla (2014) 3/5
Rich Hill 4/5
Body Snatchers 3/5
Rush 3/5
Mama 0.5/5
Eaten Alive 3/5
The Sessions 3.5/5
Before Sunset 3.5/5
Identity Thief 1/5
Summer of Sam 2.5/5
The World's End 2.5/5
Appropriate Adult 3.5/5
Charm 0/5

BagginSagginBrian

Watched a showing of Lawrence of Arabia at castro theater the other day.  The restoration is flawless.

Anna Karina

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on August 10, 2014, 10:02:07 AM
i saw this too.. it was a pretty cool tour documentary about the chinese punk band Joyside. interviews in public bathrooms, copious alcohol consumption, broken english, everything i like in a movie about punkrocknroll of the asian variety

Is there anywhere I can download this? Can't find a torrent.

Anna Karina

Unlike last month, almost every movie I've watched has ranged from interesting to really (or surprisingly) good lately.

I'll post the full list at the end of the month like usual with my ratings because I'm a dumb dickhole, but I'll say my favorites so far have been Life Itself, Crystal Lake Memories, Edge of Tomorrow, Night Catches Us, and Coherence.

AaronTheCabe

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 03, 2014, 10:40:34 AM
Movies watched in August:
The Mist 3/5
Trees Lounge 3.5/5
Before Sunset 3.5/5
Summer of Sam 2.5/5
The World's End 2.5/5

The mist surprisingly has the least hollywood ending of all time and it still boggles my mind that the director got away with that cut.
Before Sunset, sunrise are some of my favorite films but i still haven't seen before midnight and that pisses me off
Trees Lounge is like a movie of a tom waits song, Small Change era
Summer of Sam i enjoyed when i saw it but wouldn't watch it again. i am a sucker for john leguizamo though. he's always dapper
World's End i think might have been a better written and executed film that the other movies in his cornelio trilogy but despite that wasn't as enjoyable as shawn of dawn. still pretty good though. i would say 3/5.

I watched Oldboy and Lady Vengence recently and have been on the whole Korean Wave kick of recent. Doomsday Books is one of the best anthology films i've seen in quite awhile, if not ever.

Mr Nobody, would have been a great movie if the idea hadn't already been done multiple times (ie sliding doors, etc)
Bronson and Only god Forgives 5/5 for Bronson, 4/5 for ONly God Forgives. I thought it was better that Drive. Has a sergio Leone feel about it and Jim Jarmusch mixed together. Wide shots, little dialogue, interesting use of colors (perhaps even a little Dario Argento inspired?) slow build to epic moments
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

pronetoaccidents

Quote from: Anna Karina on September 18, 2014, 03:27:50 AM
Unlike last month, almost every movie I've watched has ranged from interesting to really (or surprisingly) good lately.

I'll post the full list at the end of the month like usual with my ratings because I'm a dumb dickhole, but I'll say my favorites so far have been Life Itself, Crystal Lake Memories, Edge of Tomorrow, Night Catches Us, and Coherence.

not that i know of. if i find one i'll send it your way or post it here.

looking forward to David O. Russells new one coming out in Decemeber and Tarantinos Hateful Eight.

skateandannoy

Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2014, 10:11:39 AM
Quote from: skateandannoy on August 06, 2014, 07:33:01 AM

Lucy was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, just as a heads-up. 
Haha that doesn't surprise me but dang. I saw Guardians of the Galaxy since I last posted in this thread, I hated it.

kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Joe

I think what made Lucy so bad, was that it didn't have to be dumb.  They just made really dumb decisions with the story. 

Under The Skin was really beautiful.  Really slow and simple.  It was definitely more of an Art movie... like, I could probably watch it without any dialogue and I would still think it was pretty.  Story wise, it could have been slightly more detailed or thought out or something.  Parts of it left me wanting more depth.  I would watch it again, though.

skateandannoy

Quote from: Joe on September 18, 2014, 12:06:39 PM
I think what made Lucy so bad, was that it didn't have to be dumb.  They just made really dumb decisions with the story. 

Under The Skin was really beautiful.  Really slow and simple.  It was definitely more of an Art movie... like, I could probably watch it without any dialogue and I would still think it was pretty.  Story wise, it could have been slightly more detailed or thought out or something.  Parts of it left me wanting more depth.  I would watch it again, though.
I love that type of shit so that's good news!

michaelcopeland

They're going to be making a documentary about Elephant 6 that I think looks like it might be pretty cool.