mountain goats thread

Started by bort, July 26, 2014, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Courtney

I love John Darnielle and Tiny Desk Concerts, so so much.

skuyler

i've had alpha omega stuck in my head for like two months now

lindsey

i'm currently most stoked about the book and his book tour! i can't wait to see the reading and hopefully get the book signed!

SoniaButton

I stupidly and drunkly didn't get the book, but I saw him play here, and there were no let downs. 

pronetoaccidents

wow i didn't know he was writing a book. that's awesome. and after reading the synopsis i'm even more stoked..

"Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of "Trace Italian"—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.

Lance and Carrie are high school students from Florida, and are explorers of the Trace. But when they take their play into the real world, disaster strikes, and Sean is called on to account for it. In the process, he is pulled back through time, tracing back toward the moment of his own self-inflicted departure from the world in which most people live.Mountain Goats' John Darnielle"
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

lindsey

Quote from: SoniaButton on July 27, 2014, 05:49:43 AM
I stupidly and drunkly didn't get the book, but I saw him play here, and there were no let downs. 

don't worry buddy the book doesn't come out until sept 30th!

FolkTheGovernment

I was going through Georgia for a family vacation in Florida and almost the whole time I just listened to 'Going to Georgia' on repeat.
i love sharks and Godzilla

Courtney

Whaaaat how did I not hear about this book!? So excite.

CrackyMcCrackerson

It's been moved up to the September 16th.  You guys should keep in touch with JD's tumbler.  Not only is it TMG and JD related, it is also insightful, moving, interesting and motherfuck hilarious.  I love JD so much more after reading his tumblr for the past year-

http://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/ 

Courtney

I'm one of those people who doesn't tumblr. I mean I just now started updating a twitter account regularly for god's sake.

lindsey

Quote from: CrackyMcCrackerson on July 29, 2014, 09:38:32 AM
It's been moved up to the September 16th.  You guys should keep in touch with JD's tumbler.  Not only is it TMG and JD related, it is also insightful, moving, interesting and motherfuck hilarious.  I love JD so much more after reading his tumblr for the past year-

http://johndarnielle.tumblr.com/ 

i completely agree, i love the day to day reminder of what an incredible human he is via his tumblr. i wish i had more time for tumblr haha. i didn't see where it said the release date was moved up but the pre-order i did on powells says they're shipping the 16th and his book tour starts around that day, so it makes sense. SO STOKED CANT WAIT

kw

band has enabled me to climb out of every valley life has thrown me into. oof.

jer

Quote from: Courtney on July 29, 2014, 04:18:28 PM
I'm one of those people who doesn't tumblr. I mean I just now started updating a twitter account regularly for god's sake.

i tried really hard to like tumblr, but it's such dogshit and has the worst user-community ever.
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

momitsnowme

Quote from: Courtney on July 26, 2014, 12:23:21 PM
I love John Darnielle and Tiny Desk Concerts, so so much.

Every time they say "enjoy a tiny desk concert" on NPR I am really amused and repeat "tiny desk concert" out loud and smile. But yeah, they are also usually really good.

ramblinrabble

Quote from: jer on July 29, 2014, 10:42:54 PM
Quote from: Courtney on July 29, 2014, 04:18:28 PM

i tried really hard to like tumblr, but it's such dogshit and has the worst user-community ever.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  However there are a few gems:
http://mormon-jesus.tumblr.com/

bort

i think john has said this is his favorite song

bort

Quote from: kw on July 29, 2014, 07:27:28 PM
band has enabled me to climb out of every valley life has thrown me into. oof.
yep.