What were you doing when you were 13 years old?

Started by Courtney, July 21, 2014, 07:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skateandannoy

Skateboarding, listening to punk, ska, hardcore, and folk music and causing shenanigans. Nothing has changed.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

momitsnowme

Quote from: pronetoaccidents on July 24, 2014, 03:41:47 AM
Quote from: momitsnowme on July 22, 2014, 06:24:07 PM
\ I started hanging out with the "popular" kids

you were one of THEM? you had to be a fake one, like a regular kid but more like an undercover agent doing an operative mission to see what those self obsessed little assholes did all day when they weren't dictating what was "cool" amongst barely pubscent micropeople.

Yeah, I wasn't really. They just like...let me sit at their table for the last 2/3 of 8th grade, like I said, I think because they felt bad about my dad. The next year when I started hanging out with the weird kids, I stopped being friends with most of them. Though there was a weird thing at band camp before senior year where all the seniors had a bonfire and were supposed to go around the circle and say things to each other and they all pretty much told me they respected me for being a badass and being who i wanted to be. And now I'm in touch with a few of them through Facebook and stuff. I dunno...popular in rural WV is a little different than popular elsewhere, I think. The kids who called my new friends and I names I distanced myself from and the people who didn't, I don't think are/were that bad.

Phitney

When I was 13 I got really into AFI, which would later launch my exploration into other punk music and then somehow that would evolve into listening to a lot of post rock. I played percussion in the school band, but not of the other percussionists could read music so I always played the bells or marimba, which I was cool with. I also played piano a lot outside of school. My mom wouldn't let me go hang out with friends without adult supervision, so I missed out on a lot of hangouts outside of school. My mom finally let me go to my first dance and it was pretty mediocre so I didn't go to any more.

I was in Girl Scouts.

Oh! My friend, Justin, had a crush on me and wanted me to be his girlfriend, but I didn't really care for that. But our other friend kept bothering me to say yes to him while I was reading a book I was really into, so I finally gave in so she would let me keep reading my book. A year later Justin came out, and looking back on it I think our "relationship" happened because people were teasing him since they thought he was gay (he was, but he wasn't ready to come out yet. 13-year-olds can be assholes). We held hands in art class so this jerk at our table would stop giving him shit.

James Anarchy Scallywag

Man being 13 sucked so much.   I guess I still played baseball, that was cool. 

ian

i was watching mtv's beach house summer circa 1993 hosted by jon sencio, pauly shore, kennedy, and jon stewart and eating probably seven lbs of frozen french fries a day. in between games of shining force on the sega genesis.

BlakeK

Quote from: ian on July 26, 2014, 02:11:51 AM
i was watching mtv's beach house summer circa 1993 hosted by jon sencio, pauly shore, kennedy, and jon stewart and eating probably seven lbs of frozen french fries a day. in between games of shining force on the sega genesis.
I'm not the oldest person on the new board anymore! Happy days are here again.
Quote from: BlakeK on March 09, 2017, 06:59:37 PM
Having said that, I'd rather listen to Papa Roach than GG Allin

bort

watching the twelfth season of the simpsons. I remember drew barrymore was in an episode and i had a huge crush on her at that time

FolkTheGovernment

Lots of xbox and trying to fit into a school full of rich families since I was the poor kid.
i love sharks and Godzilla

hatmoose

i played ragnarok online for 4+ hours a day (iRO, private servers, then i started gming on a friend's server), and i talked to a lot of people online. i spent a lot of time in chat rooms, and i was on a few forums. i used to be able to have conversations with multiple people every day. besides those things i played a lot of other video games and other shit, i started getting into mogwai and the pillows a lot.

as far as physical stuff i was just going to school and stuff. i wore sweatpants every day and i had like some kind of aversion to pooping? i tried not to poop for like 10 months, so i always had to poop / smelled like poop. i also had acne and braces and bad breath, i was going through a shitty puberty i didn't want. i spent a lot of time online
ask me about my high score

hatmoose

me irl @ 13

i should say that that isn't really a picture of me irl when i was 13 but this is (probably) http://i.imgur.com/s05cIYO.jpg

it turns out my funny meme pic is from a comedy central show who woulda thunk
ask me about my high score

lindsey

Quote from: James Anarchy Scallywag on July 25, 2014, 04:07:15 PM
Man being 13 sucked so much.   I guess I still played baseball, that was cool. 

completely forgot until i read this, but i was also playing soccer at school and i was the only not-super-preppy girl on the team. it was kinda rough for me socially, because (this is going to sound like bullshit but it isnt) all the preppy girls really hated me because i didn't give a shit about being popular and i was the only 7th (and then 8th) grader on the varsity team that started every single game of the season. also i was fat so they were extra pissed that i was basically a star player. they were dicks to me and all my actual friends were on the softball team. they tried to get me to play softball with them but soccer was just too important to me. womp womp

rory

Hatmoose your experience is probably the closest to mine, and then you posted that photo, and you looked just like my best friend growing up did when he was 13.

momitnowme your experience is the most foreign and therefore most fascinating to me.

I really wanted to play basketball when I was in 8th grade but I'm very short and team sports scared me because I was so nervous to let everyone down. So it never happened. I have very small regrets about this.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

momitsnowme

Quote from: rory on July 28, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
Hatmoose your experience is probably the closest to mine, and then you posted that photo, and you looked just like my best friend growing up did when he was 13.

momitnowme your experience is the most foreign and therefore most fascinating to me.

I really wanted to play basketball when I was in 8th grade but I'm very short and team sports scared me because I was so nervous to let everyone down. So it never happened. I have very small regrets about this.

if it makes you feel better, a year later i started hanging out with the punk kids, stopped showering as often (and eventually had a mohawk), got a guitar and skateboard (but never learned to skate, haha) and got called a dyke on a regular basis, haha.

pronetoaccidents

13 to 14 was a momentous change for me. overnight i could ejaculate and i got an operation ivy cd. talk about simple pleasures of life
Though lovers be lost love shall not.

IMAWRAETHTHU

I ran a lot, had a full beard until i shaved it finally and saw how pretty i was. I did thousands of crunches and leg lifts and lunges in m room listening to green day and rancid and iron maiden and system of a down. stayed up late playing n64 and watching adult swim in my room with friends who lived near me. played yu gi oh cars with friends late into the night. alot of climbing trees and running around and play fighting with sticks...OH!! AND SWINGING!!! Went to school and hated people. Played tony haw proskater and ocarina of time and smash bros and goldeneye and perfect dark...masturbated alot...was really shy...
WHOEVER YOU ARE, WHATEVER YOU DO, WHERE EVER YOU ARE, YOU DON'T DESERVE ABUSE!!!

SUR-VI-VOR!!!