+/- Thread

Started by AaronTheCabe, June 10, 2014, 02:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bee

+++++ impulse moving house. moving into a shared live/work loft apartment where i can set up my own studio space. it seems ridiculously awesome and i can't believe i have found something so cool yet affordable.
- i move by 1st feb and have a lot to sort out in that time.

AaronTheCabe

---gona go drug hunting tomorrow methinks. methinks should taske over i thinks. its a better phrase
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back breakfast

Anna Karina

+ last month I got promoted to a new position
- somehow I'm still broke even though I make (slightly) more money
- I could be jobless anytime between the end of this month and May, after leaving a job that was steady
+ I don't know how I have as awesome of friends as I do, but man, I love my friends
- I'm a terrible friend and person
- I shouldn't be so depressed at this point in my life, holy shit I'm almost 30 jesus christ what happened to my life
+I have the vague notion that I will understand why I was put on this earth within the next few years
- I will probably fail miserably once I figure out why that is

After listening to an old Harris Wittels guest podcast regarding the issue, I strongly urge you not to go drug hunting!

CrackyMcCrackerson

+ Moving with my gf into a new apartment less than 3 weeks
- So much left to do(like packing) and so much money I have to spend(movers, carpet cleaning in old & junk removal in old place because I'm lazy) until then

+ They let us come into the office on Saturday to make up for apocalyptic ice conditions on Thursday that prevented me from getting to work
- I have to work Saturday instead of letting us use PTO

+ Woke up early enough(4:45am) to get a little action from the lady before I left for work
- Woke up at 4:45am

ramblinrabble

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on March 06, 2015, 07:12:36 PM
---gona go drug hunting tomorrow methinks. methinks should taske over i thinks. its a better phrase
Don't do that.

+ Got a new job.  Better pay, less stress, more professional, less stupid.
- Training is killing me.  The entire month of March I'm bouncing between Buffalo and Rochester for a week at a time for different training classes.
+ They put me up in a nice hotel for free though
- Kinda broke.  Not sure when I'll get reimbursed for gas. food, etc.
- I haven't gotten a full night of sleep in three days.  Keep waking up every half hour, then not getting back to sleep for another half hour, and then repeat.
- Not going to be able to catch the Rangers while they're in town because of crazy work schedule/being broke.

Quote from: AaronTheCabe on March 06, 2015, 07:12:36 PM

I mean it, seriously, Aaron, dont do it.  Reach out if you need to.

AaronTheCabe

ya i ain't doin all that. just been feverish. forgot to take my antidepressants for like 4 or 5 days cause been sleeping whenever not at work. had three beers last night and the other three from same six pack night before last. had a staggering depresssing affect on me, my excuse to drink was alcohol is an antitussive and this cough is sooooo baaaaaaad

Phitney

Aaron! Any time you start to feel sad or lonely or like you want drugs or even if you're happy and want to talk to to someone, don't be afraid to reach out! You have my number!

+ Got accepted into the second of three roller derby tournaments I applied to officiate at! The first one I got accepted into is on the west coast, so I can't go. But this one I can go to! I'm still hoping I'll get into the third I applied for
- I keep almost making an appointment with a therapist and then I convince myself that things won't be so awful when x, y, and z happen when in reality I've been in this slump for a while.
- Almost rage-quit my job last week. It's so tempting to quit. I have monies in my bank account that I can use to live while finding a job, but I was going to use that money to move. I'm not feeling too up to living in this area for much longer.
- Dating is frustrating as HELL. Every time I start dating again I realize why I quit dating.
+/- Thinking about moving back to Asheville. It's closer to my family. I have solid friends there. Also, mountains. It just sucks because the job market is not so great.
+/- I'm going to be staying on the east coast for a while due to family health problems and my dad starting to line up lots of surgeries. I need to be with them.
+ I'm glad my dad is finally getting the surgeries he needs. He needs a new hip and new knees. Seeing him in so much pain and being forced into inactivity because of the pain makes me so sad. He's so stubborn and hates doctors so much that I worried he was never going to fix those problems. So so so glad he's come around. Last time I talked to him I told him I wished I could buy him new knees so he could go hiking again.
+ Going to DC this weekend with one of my ref friends. We're going to have a girly road trip, see awesome museums, and ref a fun scrimmage-a-thon with the league up there with some of my other favorite refs!

dakotafloyd

Quote from: Phitney on March 09, 2015, 09:21:10 PM

- I keep almost making an appointment with a therapist and then I convince myself that things won't be so awful when x, y, and z happen when in reality I've been in this slump for a while.

I had that same thought process for years.  Finally started talking with a counselor a few weeks ago, and it's been going really well.  I know it's weird and scary to go into that stuff, but if you've been seriously considering going, you might as well at least try it.  Even if things will be better when x, y, and z happen, what about the interim?

Just some thoughts.  I think you've got my number, feel free to text or call if you wanna chat about that stuff.

Also Aaron, call or text whenever.  See ya on the 26th!
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

lindsey

whit, would it be your first time going to therapy?

if not, you probs know your limit or how it would benefit. but if it IS your first time, i say 100% do it. therapy is the shit if you can afford it (and find a good therapist).

++++ had my first weekend of tattoo school! 16 hrs down, 584 to go....

Phitney

It would be my first time going, so maybe that's why it seems so scary and daunting. Thank you both for your words of encouragement. I found a place nearby that seems alright, so I'm just going to take the plunge and make an appointment. I don't really see anything that could go wrong with it. I just need to do it!

rory

- After some pretty obnoxious piss-poor decisions at my job, my manager quit, as well as half of the bakery staff (the important, super skilled/managerial half)
-/+ I've been spending all week trying to sort things out so that half of the coffee shop doesn't also quit
-/+ because of my initiative, it's looking like I'm going to be one of two new managers! More money, but also tons and tons more stress
- I am now going to have to listen to the guy who is the reason all the major players just quit outright. He's an awful awful men's rights activist, but I'm pretty sure we're going to make it work, without him impacting the comfort of all of the employees.
-/+ Tour is getting BOOKED! and I still get to go in spite of all the stress at my work. But there's still so much to do and it's less than a month away.
+ I'm getting out of a slump of a depression. I am CLAWING my way out of it and it feels good.
Quote from: Winged Killick
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

AaronTheCabe

+/-I am werewolf
Changes are in the mirror
A sane man in a madhouse sits in the bookshelf unopened
Words written past tense, all known
A thousand hands decapitated
Words written, unknown. Ken?
Why does the preacher have fear in his eyes...
I write tongues
I write tongues
I refuse to do so in threes.
-3/12/15

AaronTheCabe

-----fuck uhaul. they can keep their 40K/year, which really ain't a lot in retrospect, cause it ain't worth wanting to shoot myself or slit my wrist for.

+/- i'm getting a student loan and finishing my 5 remaining Georgia State classes, three fucking electives and two spanish classes.

then i'm looking to move to asheville too, it's been my goal to move their for 4 years now. GSU is notorious for having undergrad creative writing classes of Grad. student quality, i might see if possible to teach creative writing at a community college or something, if possible without grad degree. or maybe even go to grad school, teaching at the school basic english classes or such.

the more i go on the more i see that thinking i can talk to non academic people about things i'm interested in just isn't viable. and that philosophy is so contrary to what i wanted for myself and others but goddamn life is shit and so are half the people around

bee

+/- is literally how everything is right now. some really great things are happening in my life but i am also working to make some big changes. i'm at a very complicated crossroads.

Joe

-I fucked up at my job recently.  It was one of those situations where I knew just enough to be dangerous, and I should have been more thorough with my planning, or I should have been respectfully less ambitious with my execution. It was honestly still seems like a simple mistake, but it freaked out a client and he sent some really spiteful e-mail to way too many people for me not to feel pretty embarrassed.

+up until that moment I was getting all kinds of compliments for how well I have been handling all the stuff that has been thrown at me.

AaronTheCabe

- the sun shines but i don't, the silver rain will wash away, the rain. and you can tell, it's just as well

rory

-/+ I quit my job of the last 4.5 years!
- I cried at my two weeks notice meeting
- that place is kind of screwed without me
+ It's good to make a decision based on my emotional well being, as well as my intellectual and moral understanding
+ Not going to support a shitty little dude and his quest to make other people's lives worse as managerial practice
+ I already have another job lined up working right next door at a local record shop for my friends

I went on tour just as my job was going through a pretty big management shift and the conclusion that came from that is I should do what makes me happy, and that I am way more capable than I am being treated.
I'm an anarchist, but I'm not going to drive ninety-five miles an hour down the road tossing illegal, invasive species of snakes from my car while texting and fraudulently doing my taxes.

jer

+ Got a promotion/raise
+ Lost some excess weight I've put on
+ Ducks advancing to 2nd round of playoffs
+ Published an article on Yahoo! Sports.

Huzzah!
Anti-Creative Records sells some things.
http://www.anti-creative.com

kw

+ since moving, my mental health has generally stabilized, i have gotten into much healthier habits, and feel completely supported no matter what is going on in life. i am really happy to report that, in general, all is well and it seems like it will stay that way for the forseeable future.

+ going on tour next week for the first time in a few years, stokedd

dakotafloyd

+ Finished my semester today!  One to go!
+ I'm very good at winning things, and I won tickets for The Offspring tonight.
- Didn't find out until almost 11 PM, well after the show has finished.  Don't care so much about the band, just wanted to go to a big show to get out of the house.
+ Got a great setup done on my guitar for cheap.
+ Met with someone about finally recording my ever-elusive solo record in the next couple months.
21 Moreland Ave. NE
Atlanta, GA 30307

rory

+ new job is great
- I make more than half as much as I used to and the boss doesn't want to give me more hours
- I'm having a difficult time with the anniversary of a friend's death, even though it's been 7 years and I am a decidedly different person
- All of my queer friends in town moved away or don't want to go to shows anymore

Joe

-boss wants me to only take one class instead of two because he is concerned that it is interfering with my work.
-I am paid 20% fewer dollars than anyone else on my team and I produce more than any of them.

+I am still pretty awesome at life even if everyone around me is stupid.
+I just got back from Seattle and it was really fun.

rory

+ I will be starting testosterone HRT Sept. 1st (still they/them pronouns plz)
- I have not told most of my friends
+ I've always been better at writing things out on the internet to help cope with things becoming real. So hey, PIX board, tellin' you first.
-/+ I am scared but also not. I pester my partner every day about "will you still like me even if..." kinds of questions but I'm honestly not worried. It's more of a mental checklist for me to go through. The only thing that's scary is other people. Awkwardness. Family.

momitsnowme

Rory!! How exciting! But I can see why it would also be terrifying. <3

lindsey

+++++++ I'm a few weeks away from starting my practical section at school (when I get to actually tattoo people/do "procedures") which means after 6 months of studying and learning alllll about infection control, skin diseases, blood borne pathogens, etc. I FINALLY GET TO ACTUALLY TATTOO PEOPLE. Yesterday was my first go on "second skin" which is a latex practice skin that we use to..practice on. It's WAY HARDER to tattoo than actual skin, but it's a good time to get a feel for the machines, and practice proper needle depth. ANYWAY I'M BASICALLY A REAL TATTOO ARTIST ALMOST BASICALLY!!!!!!!

Rory, congrats! I hope your amazing news is met with nothing but support and love, as it should be.