Bright eyes not a rapist

Started by manmagic, July 14, 2014, 01:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manmagic

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/14/conor-oberst-bright-eyes-rape-charges-allegations-lied/

thoughts? I was given alot of shit in the last thread about this, but still curious as to what people are thinking, because I do value your opinions.

James Anarchy Scallywag

I will continue to not listen to his music

Rapture Ready Blowhard

It is entirely possible that she lied and her confession to that is true.

However, a celebrity of sorts is suing her for more than a million dollars, and his lawyers might have convinced her to recant as part of some settlement.  I have no way of knowing which of these scenarios is true, but I think the latter should at least be acknowledged as a possibility.

I will also continue not to listen to his music.

tenderfoot_blues

LoganTheCheese, ya'll.

tinybitsofheart

this is the worst thread title ever

amanda

Quote from: Rapture Ready Blowhard on July 14, 2014, 03:01:26 PM
It is entirely possible that she lied and her confession to that is true.

However, a celebrity of sorts is suing her for more than a million dollars, and his lawyers might have convinced her to recant as part of some settlement.  I have no way of knowing which of these scenarios is true, but I think the latter should at least be acknowledged as a possibility.

Yeah, this is something I've kind of been wondering about too.  Especially because this story wasn't the first time I've heard or read about Oberst being inappropriate or worse with teenage fans, possibly without even realizing it (i.e., just thinking about interactions as just being "perks of the job" or whatever)

It's just all around shitty.  It sucks that if she lied about it/made it up, she's making it that much worse for victims of sexual assault everywhere.  If she is saying she lied about it to get the libel suit dropped, then it sucks that she has been victimized twice by someone who was in a position of power both times. 

lindsey

I hate everything and trust no one and believe nothing

manmagic

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on July 14, 2014, 06:15:34 PM

I actually tried to edit it as soon as I made it, because I realized that fairly quickly. I either don't know how to or you can't edit those types of things. For anyone who remembers the old thread I also said some stuff there I later reconsidered after hearing other peoples opinions. That's how life should work though, you should try to constantly be learning from your mistakes and growing.

Shaun The Sheep

At first I thought that possibly we are over thinking this... but then:
"People get bullied by big money and big reputations constantly." - My friend Robert
Still likes South African Folk Punk

Shaun The Sheep

Quote from: manmagic on July 15, 2014, 07:09:57 AM
I also said some stuff there I later reconsidered after hearing other peoples opinions. That's how life should work though, you should try to constantly be learning from your mistakes and growing.

Take my punx points you good thing :)
Still likes South African Folk Punk

skateandannoy

Quote from: lindsey on July 15, 2014, 01:10:26 AM
This. I never liked his music before and I'll never listen to it now.
https://deadformat.net/tradelist/anthemforadoomed

Quote from: tinybitsofheart on August 01, 2014, 06:53:17 AM
kinda weird how the earth continues to spin on its axis and everything eventually dies even when you don't want it to dang

Nate Rainey

More accurate headline:

"Sexual assault victim caves to intense, horrifying pressure from millionaire and his army of lawyers and apologist fans. Falsely 'admits to lying' about her attack, so that attacker can return to his record label."
Signature get.

Anna Karina

I dunno, that seems too long to be a headline.

tim

Quote from: skateandannoy on July 15, 2014, 08:38:36 AM
Quote from: lindsey on July 15, 2014, 01:10:26 AM
This. I never liked his music before and I'll never listen to it now.

MichaelAW

I have all of the thoughts in the world about this. Two things to put out there right away:
1) I wouldn't be surprised if I am the biggest Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes fan on the PIX board (old version or new), and that his music & lyrics mean more to me than anyone aside from possibly Lindsey and Chris Clavin.
2) As such, I had A LOT invested in hoping he would be shown not guilty...so much in fact that I actually stopped posting on the old PIX board in part just because it brought me actual pain to see that thread bumped and have to consider that someone who has meant so much to me for nearly half my life could be a rapist. Totally melodramatic, I know, but that's how much I wanted him to be innocent.

With those biases now admitted, I believe he is innocent, and am now comfortable saying it (whereas for 6 months I've just been keeping it to myself). There was an excellent Jezebel article by a woman who reluctantly believed Oberst: http://jezebel.com/rape-lies-and-the-internet-the-story-of-conor-oberst-1531785539

Worth noting, since I imagine most people won't read it:
1) Her story just doesn't check out factually, as far as basic details like whether Bright Eyes even played when she claims they did
2) She has a history of making up stories on the internet (not that it alone would prove her lying, but in this case the history is probably too strong to be completely ignored -- read some of the things she's made up before jumping on this point)
3) Oberst planned to donate the entire winnings of his lawsuit to organizations fighting rape and domestic violence
4) He said it made him sick that this story would provide fuel for MRA's and rape-deniers

This even more excellent article also examines how this story fits into false rape accusations, and shows why it doesn't actually bolster MRA-type arguments at all (though MRA's will obviously use it anyways :-\ )
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/15/conor-oberst-and-the-myth-of-the-woman-who-cried-rape.html

There's no way to prove Oberst is telling the truth, but I think in this rare case, it's far more likely he is than isn't. (Again, I know I have a lot invested in that being the case, but I still think it's pretty hard to read the details of this and conclude it's more likely that she's telling the truth than him).